The simple and convenient option for scheduling routine screening colonoscopies for healthy patients at San Antonio Gastroenterology Endoscopy Centers—no prior GI consultation required.
What is Direct Access?
Direct Access is a streamlined program designed to give healthy patients direct access to schedule a screening colonoscopy at San Antonio Gastroenterology Endoscopy Centers.
Who is Eligible?
- Healthy patients aged 50 years or older with average risk of colon cancer (no family history of colon cancer/polyps) who have never had a screening colonoscopy before
- Healthy African American patients, aged 45 years or older with average risk of colon cancer (no family history of colon cancer/polyps) who have never had a screening colonoscopy before
- Healthy patients with no symptoms under the age of 50 with a family history of colon cancer or adenomatous colon polyps who have never had a screening colonoscopy before
Who is NOT Eligible?
If you have existing symptoms of gastrointestinal distress (constipation, diarrhea, bloating, bleeding, etc.) or pre-existing health conditions or diseases or are any of the medications listed below, you are not eligible and must complete a consultation with a San Antonio Gastroenterology Associates gastroenterologist prior to undergoing an endoscopic procedure
- Patients younger than 18 or older than 79
- Patients on blood thinners (Coumadin, Effient, Pradaxa, Effient, Eliquis, etc.)
- Patients on antiplatelet therapy (Plavix, etc.)
- Patients on active dialysis
- Patients who are pregnant
- Patients with obstructive sleep apnea w/ CPAP
- Patients with a BMI over 40
- Patients with a history of seizures
- Patients who have had an organ transplant
- Patients who are oxygen dependent
Cardiac clearance is required from a cardiologist at least 3 months prior to the procedure, clearing patient for anesthesia for colonoscopy and/or upper endoscopy at an ASC if patient has:
- Heart valve replacement
- Heart bypass
- Congestive heart failure
- History of myocardial infarction (MI) or arrythmia
I would like to commend the staff at SAGEC North for their exemplary demeanor with their patients. I am a returning patient for the colonoscopy procedure with Dr. Joseph Johnson, this being my 4th procedure, performed early this morning (11-30-16). The entire staff is warm and friendly toward each patient, placing the patient at ease and made to feel welcome. Their personal interaction with the patient is very much appreciated. Dr. Joe Johnson is, in a word, wonderful, and an expert in his field. Thank you very much.
Just a note to commend the entire staff who tended my needs last Friday morning! From my arrival time at 6:15 until my discharge at 8:35, I truly had a wonderful experience. Everyone was friendly, professional, caring, considerate, and very kind! The entire facility was run like clock-work yet never did I feel like just a number!! Thank you ever so much to each and all.
Wednesday I had a colonoscopy at the Sonterra Blvd facility. The staff and facility were exceptional. Happily tell my family and friends about how well I was treated both medically and personally. It is nice to have such a fine facility and medical staff in our neighborhood.