The GI tract stretches all the way from your esophagus down into your stomach, small intestines, large intestines (also called your colon) and also includes your liver, pancreas, gallbladder, and bile ducts. The Recent research has found that the GI system is quite vital to the overall health of your entire body. Distress in any area of the GI system can disrupt things like weight management, energy, mood, and even contribute to the development of more serious diseases.
Whether you know it or not, digestion begins the moment you begin chewing your food or swallow a drink. When you take a bite of food, it moves through your digestive tract and begins a chemical breakdown process, known as digestion. Digestion includes the absorption of nutrients and the removal of waste products—even your liver plays a role in digestive function. Gastroenterologists have an extensive understanding of all the processes and the associated symptoms, diseases, and conditions.
San Antonio Gastroenterology Associates are available to deliver trusted, expert care.
- Stomach pain
- Bleeding in the digestive tract
- GI Cancers (i.e., colorectal cancer, stomach cancer, pancreatic cancer, liver cancer)
- Difficulty swallowing
- Diseases of the colon (i.e., polyps, irritable bowel syndrome [IBS], colitis, Crohn’s disease)
- Gallbladder disease
- Heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Hiatal hernias
- Liver disease (e.g., hepatitis, jaundice)
- Celiac disease
- Lactose intolerance
- Stomach upset, nausea, vomiting
Experiencing these Symptoms?